Sunday, February 14, 2010

into the caul

(Dec. 14, 2009)

Been recently reading a fair bit of Scappi...

cooking in the caul... by this, I mean caul fat! Wonderful stuff that is, only sad thing about it is the difficulty of acquisition + perishability. This is when you want to make friends with your butcher and have an order ready for as close as you can to an event! Don't worry, it isn't an icky or gross organ, it's just fat... like kidney fat is just fat, or fat back is just fat... it's good, it's useful and can make delicious foods more-so! Not to mention, it is repeatedly mentioned and suggested by Scappi (it makes me so happy to be able to be able to browse this book so easily...)
Oh, the recipes, I've been drooling (well, possibly some mental salivation at least)

and now, due to my scatter-brained nature :P, I must obsess a little about Charcuterie...
hey, I am presently curing meat in the kitchen :P

to note: lots of references to cooking with the caul fat, just haven't been paying much attention before... for some reason... :S

No comments: